An 11-year-old child accused of fatally shooting his adoptive father in the early hours of his birthday appeared in court this week, marking the first formal legal proceeding since the January incident. The youth, now charged with criminal homicide, waived his preliminary hearing as lawyers outlined strategy for the next stages of the case.
Young Defendant in Handcuffs at First Hearing
The boy, identified as Clayton Dietz, was escorted into the Perry County courthouse in New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania, surrounded by probation officers and wearing restraints during the brief session on February 19. At the hearing, he waived his right to a preliminary proceeding and will now await further court dates as the case moves forward.
Allegations and What Led to the Court Appearance
According to court filings, the shooting occurred on January 13 — the child’s 11th birthday — after an argument with his adoptive father, 42-year-old Douglas Dietz. The boy allegedly searched for and accessed a locked safe while attempting to retrieve a handheld gaming device that had been taken from him the night before. Inside the safe was a firearm, which he is accused of using to shoot his father as he lay sleeping.
Investigators say the youth told authorities he did not fully consider the consequences of his actions, and the killing has since shocked the local community. The defendant remains in custody at the Perry County Prison, denied bail in earlier proceedings.
Legal Strategy: Move Toward Juvenile Court
Clayton’s attorney, Dave Wilson, told local media that his primary objective is to seek a transfer of the case to juvenile court. This effort reflects the defense’s position that age and developmental factors should influence how the matter is handled, despite the serious felony charge. The judge has yet to schedule a follow-up hearing, though Wilson anticipates additional proceedings as early as May.







































