A 1-year-old boy in North Dakota is expected to make a full recovery after allegedly being attacked by his mother in a violent incident that claimed the lives of his two siblings.
The incident happened on Aug. 6 in Mandan, where police say 22-year-old Kailey Erhart attacked her three young children with a knife. The surviving child, identified as Colton Erhart, was taken to a nearby hospital and underwent surgery.
His grandmother, Melissa Erhart, later shared an encouraging update about the toddler’s condition, saying he is expected to recover fully.
Toddler Survives After Emergency Surgery
Colton was seriously injured during the alleged attack but survived and received immediate medical treatment. According to a family fundraising update, the young boy has shown signs of improvement during his recovery.
The family described a recent moment when Colton smiled again as especially meaningful after the traumatic incident. His recovery has offered some hope to relatives who are mourning the deaths of his siblings.
The other two children, a 3-year-old and a 5-month-old baby, died from their injuries.
Police Describe Chaotic Scene at Mandan Home
Mandan police responded to the home after receiving a report that a mother had attacked her children. According to an arrest affidavit, officers found Erhart covered in blood and holding a kitchen knife when they arrived.
Investigators allege that she had earlier chased the children’s father and grandmother with a knife. Police documents also say she allegedly pointed a firearm at the children’s father during the confrontation.
Authorities later found all three children inside the residence with severe injuries to their necks. Colton was transported to a hospital for surgery, while his two siblings were pronounced dead.
Investigators said Erhart told them she remembered holding a knife but did not remember the attack itself.
Mother Faces Multiple Criminal Charges
The case has also raised questions about events leading up to the attack. According to the arrest affidavit, Erhart and the children’s father were in the process of separating. The father had previously reported concerns that she might harm herself or the children, and Child Protective Services had been alerted.
Authorities also said Erhart had previously received mental health treatment and was taking medication at the time of the incident. She had reportedly been cleared to have contact with her children.
Erhart faces two counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of terrorizing with a dangerous weapon, three counts of aggravated assault and one misdemeanor domestic violence charge.
She remains in custody on a $3 million bond and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Oct. 6.
Meanwhile, Colton’s family continues to focus on his recovery as they grieve the loss of his two siblings.


























































