A deadly shooting at a high school campus in Zamboanga City, southern Philippines, left two students dead and two other people injured on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to local authorities. The suspected shooter, a Grade 9 student, was carrying two firearms when he entered the school building and opened fire.
The incident occurred at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University campus, prompting the evacuation of hundreds of students and an immediate suspension of classes. Authorities are investigating what led to the attack and how the student obtained the firearms.
Student Kills Classmate During School Shooting
Police said the student, identified as Mohammad Mael Jalani, first fired toward a teacher who was inside a classroom but apparently missed. He then moved through the school building and shot a Grade 10 student on the fourth floor.
The victim died from the shooting. The suspect subsequently went to another floor of the building and died after shooting himself, officials said.
Two additional people were injured during the incident. Authorities quickly secured the area and evacuated students from the high school building.
Zamboanga City Mayor Khymer Adan Olaso said the suspect appeared to have used a body-worn camera while carrying out the attack. Officials said portions of the incident were also livestreamed online.
Authorities Investigate Motive and Firearm Access
The motive behind the Zamboanga school shooting remains unclear. Philippine Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said investigators would examine the student’s digital activity, including his gaming and chat history, as part of the effort to understand what may have contributed to the attack.
Police are also examining how the student gained access to the firearms used in the shooting.
The incident has raised renewed concerns about school security and access to guns, particularly because it occurred on a secured educational campus. Officials have emphasized that the investigation is still in its early stages and that conclusions about the motive should not be drawn until forensic work is completed.
Classes Suspended After Fatal Zamboanga Attack
Following the shooting, Ateneo de Zamboanga University suspended classes at all levels for Tuesday and Wednesday. Parents and guardians were advised to remain calm and follow instructions from school officials regarding the safe collection of students.
The shooting is also the second fatal school shooting reported in the Philippines within two months, adding to concerns about violence in educational institutions.
Authorities said the immediate security situation at the campus had been brought under control, while investigators continued examining the circumstances surrounding the attack.























































