13-Year-Old Survivor Calls for Help After Shooting
A 13-year-old girl critically wounded during a deadly shooting spree in rural Michigan managed to call 911 after being shot four times, providing authorities with crucial information as they searched for the suspected gunman.
The shooting unfolded Friday in Missaukee County, where five victims were killed across several locations. The suspected shooter, 39-year-old Chad Hickman, was later found dead in a wooded area alongside another victim.
The teenage survivor was transported to a hospital in critical condition. By Saturday, police said her condition had stabilized.
Michigan State Police said the girl contacted emergency services herself and reported that she had been shot. Investigators were able to identify Hickman as the suspected attacker soon afterward.
Five Victims Killed Across Multiple Locations
Police initially responded to a home on South LaChance Road in Lake Township shortly before noon after receiving a report of a shooting. Three people were found dead at the residence, while the 13-year-old girl was discovered critically injured.
The victims included a 16-year-old boy, a 45-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman. Authorities later located a 53-year-old man who had also been killed at another residence in the county.
The search for Hickman continued after investigators determined he had left the first location. His vehicle was eventually found near a wooded area close to Whitlock Lake in Caldwell Township.
Police then discovered Hickman and a 29-year-old woman dead in the woods. Both had suffered fatal gunshot wounds. Investigators had not immediately determined whether Hickman died by suicide.
Family Calls Teen a Hero as Investigation Continues
A relative of the 13-year-old survivor praised her actions, saying she remained focused enough to contact emergency responders despite suffering multiple gunshot wounds.
The family also identified two of the victims as 40-year-old Amanda Everitt and her 16-year-old son, Eric Everitt.
David Everitt, Amanda’s father and Eric’s grandfather, said the family was devastated by the killings while expressing support for the young survivor, describing her actions in calling 911 and helping identify the shooter as heroic.
Authorities continue to investigate what led to the violence and whether Hickman knew the people who were killed. His previous criminal history includes a 2024 misdemeanor conviction for fourth-degree child abuse.
The motive for the Michigan shooting remains unclear, and investigators are continuing to examine evidence from the multiple crime scenes.





































