Irish police have issued a strong warning about a dangerous driving trend involving young people deliberately travelling the wrong way on motorways, with authorities saying some incidents may be carried out to gain attention and likes on social media. The warning follows two serious head-on crashes near Dublin in recent weeks, including a collision that killed five teenage boys.
Five Teenagers Killed in M9 Motorway Crash
Five male teenagers died early Sunday after the vehicle they were travelling in entered the wrong side of a motorway southwest of Dublin and collided head-on with another car.
The second vehicle was carrying three women and a child who were travelling toward Dublin Airport. All four were seriously injured in the crash.
The incident has intensified concerns among Irish authorities about reckless motorway driving and the growing influence of dangerous online challenges.
Ireland’s police chief, Justin Kelly, condemned the behaviour and said it was particularly disturbing that some drivers may be taking such risks specifically to attract social media attention.
Police Face Difficulties in Stopping Wrong-Way Drivers
Irish police officers face a major safety challenge when dealing with vehicles travelling against traffic on high-speed roads. Police representatives said officers generally do not pursue wrong-way drivers because doing so could place other motorists at even greater risk.
John Joe O’Connell, vice president of the Garda Representative Association, said some teenage boys and young men appear to be competing with one another by driving dangerously on motorways, sometimes recording the incidents for online audiences.
The concern is that the pursuit itself can become part of the stunt, increasing the danger to innocent motorists and police officers.
Recent Incidents Raise Road Safety Concerns
The fatal M9 crash was not an isolated incident. Earlier in August, nine people were injured when a group of eight young people travelling the wrong way on Dublin’s main ring road collided with another vehicle, according to police.
Authorities are now facing growing pressure to address reckless driving behaviour and the use of social media to encourage dangerous motorway stunts.
Police are urging young drivers to understand that such behaviour can have fatal consequences—not only for those behind the wheel but also for families and other motorists who have no involvement in the stunt.


















































